Designer Diaries: Demo is Done!
Being a designer, I went into our remodel with realistic expectations (kind of). I knew it would be slow and I knew we would run into some issues with a century-old house. One surprise that caught me off guard was the amount of demo.
It seemed like every time I stopped over, a new part was coming down and walls were being torn out that I wasn't expecting to remove. This happened for a couple reasons. It made the work for the plumbers and electricians easier and it's easier to put new drywall back up than try and patch over damaged plaster. So, turned out to be a good thing but it was surprising to see it before knowing it would happen.
Things are always more difficult in a remodel than new so every trade of contractors ran into a few delays in that regard. Overall, things went pretty well and the only major hiccup was an area in the kitchen. We were taking down a very small wall but ran into a structural issue with a lentil. Three engineers and a month or two later, we could finally get the new beam up and start insulating and drywalling. It was a very frustrating phase as it was holding other things up. We came to a time where we weren't seeing any progress, which was tough! But we made it through that and full speed ahead on cabinets, tile, and lots of installs!